This is a brief overview of the sections on this site. Below, you will find a list of frequently asked questions (FAQ).
The menu bar contains links to the major sections of the site:
- Home – This will take you to the site’s home page.
- What’s New – This will take you to a list of recently changed people records from the genealogy records section. They are grouped by the date the record was last updated.
- Genealogy Records – This is a drop-down menu that lets you choose from a variety of different genealogy records. The indexes will generally allow you to browse people by name. The charts will open a new page listing the available genealogy charts.
- Photographs – This is a drop-down menu that lets you choose from several different sections containing photographs.
- Most Wanted – This will take you to a list of the items I most want to find or questions I most want to see answered.
- About – This is a drop-down menu that lets you view a variety of information about the site, its rules, and various forms of help.
- Contact Me – Click here to bring up a simple form through which you can contact me.
The sidebar on the left side of the screen contains:
- Search bar – Use this to find something on the site.
- Links to the RSS feed and the Facebook group
- A Tag “cloud”* – Tags are attached to blog posts that contain certain topics, mentions, or surnames. Clicking on a tag will list all posts that include the tag. The size of the text in this “cloud” represents the relative number of posts containing the tag (large text means a lot of posts, small text means only a few)
- Category List* – This lists all the main categories of blog posts. Clicking on a category will list all posts within the category.
- Archives* – This allows you to browse past blog posts by the date of posting.
- Links* – These are links to various websites related to genealogy.
* These items are not displayed while viewing genealogy records.
Sharing buttons will appear in various places depending on which page you are viewing.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get an avatar/gravatar?
I don’t see Bob Syouruncle in your genealogy records, what gives?
If Bob is still living, then he will not have a person entry on this site. See the privacy page for an explanation.
If Bob is no longer with us, then either I have no information about him or I do have information, but have not yet entered it into my database (I have a tiny bit of a back-log).
Please consider sharing what you have in any case. Additional sources are always a good thing in genealogy, even if they don’t contain new information. Additional sources improve confidence in the correctness of the data, and may suggest different avenues of research. I may not have access to original copies of certain sources even if I have an image posted on the site (some images are scans of photocopies), in which case getting a better copy or image would be wonderful.
If you want to see something specific in a future update, don’t hesitate to ask. I would be glad to take some time to add things on request.
Can I download copies of images and documents from your site?
In general, you may do so, but be aware:
1) If the item is copyrighted, then I either obtained permission to use the item on the site or I am using it under fair use. This permission does not necessarily transfer to users of the site.
2) The images on the site are usually reduced in size from the high-resolution copies I keep locally. I am glad to share these high-resolution copies with you, so please Contact Me if you are interested.
I am having trouble registering for the site. What’s the issue?
You can Contact Me for assistance using the registration tool. If we cannot work out your issue, I can always create an account for you.